Edmonton is known for its rich culture, stunning natural landscapes, and thriving community. Within this city, three business associations—Edmonton’s Downtown Business Association, Alberta Avenue Business Association, and Old Strathcona Business Association—play a significant role in promoting local businesses and fostering community development. Join us on a journey through these associations, as we highlight their importance and showcase the unique experiences they offer to residents and visitors alike.
Downtown Business Association: Where the Heart of Edmonton Beats
The Edmonton Downtown Business Association (DBA) is a driving force behind the city’s dynamic downtown core. With a mission to create a safe, welcoming, and prosperous downtown, the DBA works tirelessly to enhance the overall experience of this urban hub. It fosters a sense of community by supporting local businesses and organizing engaging events that bring people together.
Key Events & Activities in Downtown Edmonton
- Annual Downtown Dining Week: A Culinary Delight
One of the highlights organized by the DBA is the Annual Downtown Dining Week. This week-long celebration of Edmonton’s culinary scene brings together some of the city’s finest restaurants, offering specially curated menus at affordable prices. From fine dining establishments to cozy cafes, Downtown Dining Week allows visitors to indulge in a diverse range of cuisines and flavours.
- Farmers’ Market: A Taste of Local Produce
For those who appreciate fresh and locally sourced produce, the Farmers’ Market organized by the DBA is a must-visit. Held regularly in the downtown area, this market showcases an array of fruits, vegetables, artisanal products, and homemade treats. Strolling through the market, you can interact with local farmers and producers, learn about sustainable farming practices, and sample delicious food from diverse cultures.
- Downtown Live: A Showcase of the City’s Best Live Performances
Downtown Live, another fantastic initiative by the DBA, brings the live performances to downtown Edmonton. Throughout the summer, this series showcases talented local musicians, bands, and other performers, offering free live performances to the public. Whether you’re a fan of jazz, or rock, opera or breakdancing attending one of these performances is a fantastic way to experience Edmonton’s thriving arts and culture scene.
Recommendations for Things to Do in the Downtown Area
While staying in Downtown Edmonton, there are many activities and attractions that you need to explore. Here are some of our recommendations:
Immerse yourself in the world of contemporary and historical art at the Art Gallery of Alberta. With its stunning architecture and diverse exhibitions, this gallery offers a unique cultural experience.
- Visit the Art Gallery of Alberta: Immerse yourself in the world of contemporary and historical art at the Art Gallery of Alberta. With its stunning architecture and diverse exhibitions, this gallery offers a unique cultural experience.
- Explore the Royal Alberta Museum: Delve into Alberta’s rich history and natural heritage at the Royal Alberta Museum. From interactive exhibits to fascinating artifacts, this museum provides a captivating journey through time.
- Enjoy a Walk along the North Saskatchewan River Valley: Edmonton is blessed with an extensive river valley park system, and a stroll along the North Saskatchewan River is the perfect way to appreciate the city’s natural beauty. Take in breathtaking views, relax in lush green spaces, and connect with nature.
Alberta Avenue Business Association: A Neighborhood Steeped in Culture
Located in the northeast part of Edmonton, the Alberta Avenue Business Association (AABA) is a community that celebrates the area’s rich cultural heritage. The AABA’s dedication to supporting local businesses and fostering community pride has transformed Alberta Avenue into a hub of artistic expression and creativity.
Key Events & Activities Near Alberta Avenue
- Kaleido Family Arts Festival: A Feast for the Senses
The Kaleido Family Arts Festival, organized by the AABA, is an annual celebration of diverse art forms and cultural experiences. This electrifying festival features live performances, interactive art installations, and various activities for the whole family to enjoy. From music and dance to visual arts and storytelling, Kaleido showcases the talents of local artists and celebrates the community’s cultural diversity.
- Deep Freeze Winter Festival: Embrace the Winter Wonderland
In the winter months, the Deep Freeze Winter Festival transforms Alberta Avenue into a whimsical wonderland. This family-friendly festival embraces the beauty of the season with ice sculptures, winter sports, live entertainment, and delicious food. Whether you’re admiring the intricate ice carvings or participating in snowshoe races, the Deep Freeze Winter Festival offers an enchanting experience for all.
- Carrot Community Arts Coffeehouse: Where Art Meets Coffee
The Carrot Community Arts Coffeehouse is a unique gathering place where coffee and art blend seamlessly. This cozy cafe, operated by the AABA, showcases the work of local artists and provides a space for community members to connect and engage in creative endeavours. Enjoy a cup of freshly brewed coffee while admiring the ever-changing art exhibits or attending one of the cafe’s live performances.
Recommendations for Things to Do Near Alberta Avenue
Exploring the Alberta Avenue neighbourhood offers so many opportunities for memorable experiences. Here are some of the ones we suggest:
- Explore the Unique Local Shops and Boutiques: Alberta Avenue is home to a variety of independent shops and boutiques, offering a wide range of unique products and locally crafted items. From vintage clothing stores to artisanal gift shops, you’ll find treasures that reflect the neighbourhood’s character.
- Attend a Performance at One of the Local Theaters: Immerse yourself in Edmonton’s thriving performing arts scene by attending a show at one of the theatres near Alberta Avenue. From intimate black box theatres to larger venues, there are plenty of options to enjoy live theatre, dance, or musical performances.
- Enjoy a Delicious Meal at a Neighborhood Restaurant or Café: Alberta Avenue boasts a diverse culinary scene, with a variety of restaurants and cafes offering flavours from around the world. Whether you’re craving Mexican cuisine, Thai delicacies, or comforting pub fare, you’ll find a restaurant to satisfy your taste buds
Old Strathcona Business Association: Where History and Culture Merge
Nestled in the heart of Edmonton, the Old Strathcona district is a dynamic neighbourhood known for its historic charm and dazzling arts scene. The Old Strathcona Business Association (OSBA) contributes to preserving and promoting this unique district, ensuring that its cultural heritage thrives alongside modern innovations.
Key Events & Activities Near Alberta Avenue
- Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival: A Feast for Theater Lovers
The Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival, North America’s largest and oldest fringe festival, is a hallmark event organized by the OSBA. This 11-day celebration of theatre brings together artists from around the world, showcasing their talent through a diverse range of performances. From comedies to dramas, musicals to experimental theater, the Fringe Festival offers an unforgettable experience for theater lovers of all ages.
- Whyte Avenue Art Walk: A Gallery on the Streets
The Whyte Avenue Art Walk, organized by the OSBA, transforms the streets of Old Strathcona into an open-air gallery. This annual event invites local artists to display their work along Whyte Avenue, creating an exciting and immersive art experience. Stroll along the avenue, admire the diverse artworks, and even have the opportunity to purchase a one-of-a-kind piece to take home.
- Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market: Fresh and Local Delights
The Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market is a beloved institution that showcases the best of local produce, handmade crafts, and delicious food. With over 130 vendors, this bustling market offers an array of fresh fruits and vegetables, artisanal bread, homemade preserves, and much more. Immerse yourself in the rich atmosphere, support local producers, and savour the flavours of Edmonton’s culinary scene.
Recommendations for Things to Do in Old Strathcona
While exploring Old Strathcona, there are several attractions and activities that should be on your bucket list. Here’s what we recommend:
- Visit the Old Strathcona Antique Mall: Step back in time at the Old Strathcona Antique Mall, where you can browse through a treasure trove of vintage items, collectibles, and unique finds. From antique furniture to retro clothing, this mall is a haven for history buffs and collectors.
- Wander through the Strathcona Farmers’ Market: The Strathcona Farmers’ Market, held every Saturday, is a must-visit for food lovers and those searching out local produce. Sample freshly baked goods, chat with farmers and artisans, and experience the energy of this iconic market.
- Explore the Old Strathcona Historic District: Take a leisurely stroll through the Old Strathcona Historic District and admire the beautifully preserved heritage buildings. From the Strathcona Hotel, the district’s oldest building, to the charming boutiques and cafes, this area offers a glimpse into Edmonton’s past while embracing the present.
Edmonton’s Downtown Business Association, Alberta Avenue Business Association, and Old Strathcona Business Association are integral to the city’s cultural fabric. These organizations support local businesses, organize exciting events, and create a sense of community pride. Whether you choose to explore downtown Edmonton, Alberta Avenue, or Old Strathcona, you’ll discover a city that embraces its history, celebrates its culture, and welcomes visitors with open arms.
Experience the best that Edmonton has to offer by supporting local businesses, attending upcoming events, and creating lasting memories in this unforgettable city. And don’t forget to book your stay through Edmonton’s Best Hotels to get our 1, 2, 3 Reward Deal, where you can get up to $225 in rewards just for staying in one of our member hotels.
Know someone to explore the cultural spots of edmonton with you? Share this post with them!